Friday 8 June 2012

Jagoda in the Supermarket

Now that Eurovision is over till at least September I really do have to blog about something else. So... let's watch some foreign films from Eurovision nations.

You know, ever since A Serbian Film, it's hard to google for 'serbian films' without getting that. And while I'm keen to see more foreign films, there is a line. Even though I've seen plays like Blasted and watched The Human Centipede, I feel like the plot of that film is enough to go on with for the rest of my life. (and the Phelous review of it pretty much explained it too)

So... what Serbian film did I find to watch?

Jagoda in the Supermarket



I found this film with english subtitles on youtube, and I don't think the subtitles were the greatest, so perhaps this film is funnier if you can find a better copy, or maybe it does just all seem a little flat. The plotline is basically that Jagoda, a checkout assistant in an American Supermarket called Yugo-American, refuses to serve an old lady whose son comes and takes everyone in the store hostage as revenge. Gradually they fall in love with each other and everyone rants about consumerist culture. Outside there is a satire of politics and military action going on, that probably makes more sense if you're from Yugoslavia. Teh Interwebz says this film is set in post-war Yugoslavia, which has the somewhat unhelpful element of confusing me as to what country we're actually in. I'm gonna assume it's Serbia, but I really don't know enough to tell the difference. The film ends with the two as some kind of national heroes for holding out against the various military squads trying to get them out, who mostly collapse in a slapstick fashion.
The best part of the film is probably the brass band who are at various interludes playing The Clash's Lost in the Supermarket. How very appropriate. 

So, there, a slightly odd film from Serbia that isn't A Serbian Film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment