Wednesday 20 June 2012

Yella

I have to admit, whenever BBC Four and iPlayer list a foreign film, a lot of the time, I'm going to watch it.

Sometimes though, I shouldn't bother. Yella, a 2007 German film, is probably the dullest, most predictable thing I've ever seen, which, I'll spoil it for you now because it's too dull to care about. She's been dead the whole time.



At the start of the film her possessive ex-husband drives her off a bridge in a car. She swims ashore and after that her life seems a bit weird. BECAUSE SHE'S OBVIOUSLY DEAD ALREADY! Honestly, since The Sixth Sense, this is such an obvious twist where you see some sort of fatal accident that doesn't seem to have killed someone where it should have. And even this revelation is presented so boringly that you just think, 'what. are we done? Was that it?'

The film before this revelation is so achingly dull. She spends the film doing various accounting stuff with some guy who is a corporate conman, in a sense. The stuff he's doing is way too fucking dull. The film plods around bare corporate offices, bare hotel rooms, bare cars, bare landscapes. It's so constantly bare.

Though it did make me think, if purgatory is wandering around a german techno-industrial landscape talking about corporate sales and accounting, then, my god, i'd better commit some massive sins so that I will never be stuck in such a place. Urgh, just skip right on from this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment