Sunday 4 March 2012

Vintage Ireland Eurovision. Nothing ever changes.

Hi, freaks!

I haven't got round to mentioning Lithuania, Estonia or Spain yet because I've had to do academic dissertation stuff. This means i had to pay money to get into the Irish Times archive for 24 hours. While I was there, I went looking for Eurovision.

In 1963, when they were just watching they had this to say about Eurovision. They weren't so keen. In an article of 28 March, titled 'Sing a Song of Sameness', they were bored:


Read that, and tell me that people don't say the same things about Eurovision now. 

In 1970, they were sulking about the costs of hosting. It could have costed them £20,000. Oh, the irony.



Nowadays, that probably doesn't even cover the cost of the sequin dresses. 

Also worth noting that they don't thing Dana's song had 'national character or identity.' The irony, oh it hurts.





No comments:

Post a Comment