Sunday 22 January 2012

Albania National Final

I don't know very much about Albania. From watching their national final, Festivali i Këngës, I am going to assume they are a country with a limited budget, with a somewhat staid approach to musical competitions. The songs seemed to rattle through quite quickly, and performers walked on, sang and walked off again, with barely a breath between them. Though with 20 songs to get through, and a lot of very stale 80s dross, I will say I was quite grateful. 


I gave up after what I believed to be, and correctly guessed was, the winner had performed: Rona Nishliu with Suus.




I like this song, I think it's very dramatic and emotional. But I really don't think it will suit Eurovision very well. Notice that the song is 4 and a half minutes. Us freaks will know that eurovision entries must be a maximum of 3 minutes. I'm not sure where you would cut this song down without butchering it, and making it a bit too loud, or a bit too quiet, or just very uneven.


Albania have repeatedly changed their songs to English for the final, I hope they leave this one as is. I think the idea of the song comes across anyway. 


Finalist: I don't know. II like it, it's very dramatic, but I'm not sure if it's not too depressing and dragging for the rest of the show. It will be hilarious inbetween the two comedy entries of the year. (there's usually at least two!) Please keep it in Albanian, translating this seems unnecessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment